Sweet Potato, Apple and Walnut Salad!
This is it, your answer to potato salad made healthy! Light yet packing a flavor punch, you won’t want to miss it. Easy to make with just 7 ingredients (8 if you count water). This salad is:
Great for Vegans or Vegetarians
and let’s not forget, utterly delicious!
As we approach spring, I’m looking to introduce some lighter foods, especially salads. That’s what this dish is all about. It’s got the heartiness of apples and sweet potatoes, and all the nutrition too.
But the lightness of spring, with ginger and lemon. It’s power packed with nutrients and so refreshing. I couldn’t stop snacking out of the bowl as I was mixing it up. And let’s not forget the walnuts, the brain food, which adds a third element.
You can use either the orange sweet potatoes or white ones. In my case, only white ones were available but orange ones have more beta carotene, which your body uses to make Vitamin A.
While nutrition benefits are great, I like the white ones for their slightly more crumbly texture in this dish, which pairs well with the crisp apple. Either way, both will work just fine.
You get crisp apples, tender sweet potatoes, and crunchy walnuts. All these, covered in a zesty, zingy, citrusy dressing.
Be sure to lightly toast your walnuts to get an extra flavor boost, and just break them up gently by hand and toss in.
This vinaigrette is super easy too. If you want to learn more about making a proper vinaigrette, don’t miss our other post!
If you like this recipe, please don’t forget to share and leave a comment below! Thanks.
- 2 Fuji or other crisp apples cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 cup walnuts lightly toasted and roughly broken up
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- For the Dressing
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 teaspoon teaspoons fresh thyme chopped or 1/2dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil of choice
- Toss sweet potatoes in olive oil, place on a sheetpan and bake 35-40 minutes or until fork tender.
- Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing by placing mustard, lemon juice and zest, and water in a small container. Mix to combine well by hand or using a hand blender.
- Slowly drizzle in vegetable oil.
- Dress sweet potato, apple and walnut mix with dresing and allow to sit 30 minutes before serving.