This Mexican Quinoa Salad will leave you asking yourself where all the quinoa salad went after you make this dish and eat it.
Packed full of health, it’s so easy to make you’ll wonder why you didn’t make it earlier. You can enjoy it hot or cold, both ways are delicious. You can make it vegan or non-vegan with a bit of queso fresco or feta cheese.
Just make the basic salad, and then it’s so easy to personalize for your tastes and dietary preferences, you’ll find it’s a regular go-to dish.
The simple zesty lime dressing keeps it light. You can mix it up with lemon too if you don’t have limes on hand. By adding the dressing while the quinoa is still warm, the flavors will sink in, making every bite absolutely delicious.
Topped with some avocado, this whole grain salad is an easy one dish meal. It’s a great companion for enchiladas, or other food where you want something to mop up all the sauce with, in place of rice or other grains.
Don’t forget to rinse your quinoa several minutes under running water to get out any bitter flavors before cooking. And for this recipe, I like to cook it with a bit less than the standard 2:1 ratio of water to quinoa.
For a cup of quinoa, 1 3/4 cups water is fine. This way, it will stay loose and fluffy, and also be able to nicely absorb the dressing.
It’s so easy to put your own twist on this recipe, so don’t hesitate to make your own variations with avocado, lemon instead of lime dressing, or other whole beans (canned pinto beans won’t work here since they’re usually mashed up) instead of black beans. Or add some of our oven baked tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes.
If you’re looking for other delicious quinoa dishes please check here.
We appreciate your questions and comments, so please don’t hesitate to reach out. Thanks for reading!
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 1 cups can or 2fully cooked black beans rinsed and drained
- For the Lime Dressing
- Zest of 2 limes
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt-and-pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa by first bringing water to a boil. Season with salt. Add quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Add frozen corn after five minutes. Cook about five additional minutes until done (total about ten minutes cook time).
- Prepare dressing by combining lime juice, zest, cumin and oil.
- Remove quinoa from heat and add dressing to fully cooked and warm quinoa and toss well, then allow to cool, or dump on a sheet pan to cool quickly.
- Add in cilantro, black beans, and cherry tomatoes. Toss well and serve.