Lentils are a seriously delicious food and super healthy to boot! This lentil salad with red peppers is packed with flavor and is extra nutritious.
Move on from boring, simple stewed lentils and make them part of your year round diet. For spring, this simple salad will keep you satisfied and craving more ways to keep lentils in your diet.
Let me show you how to make them!
This dish is simple, requiring just 11 ingredients.
Start by using the right kind of lentils-small green lentils or Le Puy lentils from France. You don’t want your everyday store lentils that are large and pale green. These cook down nicely but they don’t hold their shape well when fully cooked. Green lentils do.
Begin by cooking your lentils in water or stock, with a bit of thyme and garlic. You want to cook them to firm but tender, and using the right kind of lentil makes this easy-they won’t fall apart even if you cook them a little too long. Be sure to drain out any excess water once you’re done cooking, to avoid a soupy salad. This is just about all the cooking this dish needs!
For a different kind of soup and salad combo, try these with some of our Spanish Tomato Soup. Or have a salad night (or lunch too), and have some delicious Panzanella with Roasted Tomatoes, and mix it up with some Hummus and Smoky Pita Chips too.
Remember, you always have options on how to make this. If you have some of our roasted Garlic Confit, it adds an extra depth of flavor, and if not, regular garlic works just fine too!
Don’t forget, if you love this recipe, leave us a comment, post a photo with tag #thestraightdish on Instagram, and share on Pinterest. Thanks!
- 1 cup dry green or Le Puy Lentils
- 2 cloves wholegarlic or garlic confit
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2dry thyme
- 4 cups stock or water
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallots
- For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add lentils to stock or water, add thyme and garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat and spread on a sheet pan to cool quickly.
- Once lentils cool, mix with chopped red pepper, diced shallot and feta.
- Prepare dressing by combining sherry vinegar, lime juice and zest and olive oil. Whisk thoroughly and pour over lentil mix.
- Allow to sit 20 minutes then toss again before serving.