Looking for a tasty little morsel that’s not too sweet, light and cakey, and good with coffee or tea? You’ll love these lemon gems. They are easy to make and fast to bake, with just 6 ingredients.
Almost every day now, when I pick up my kids, I hear “Papa, did you make something today?” That means, did you make something sweet and delicious that I probably shouldn’t be eating because it’s not so good for me?
Well, yes, I did. So don’t eat too many of them, I have to say. Or I just bluff and keep my mouth shut and utter a non-committal “maybe…”
And then I get home and have to make sure to put away at least half of whatever it is I have made, otherwise a dozen cookies or half a loaf of bread or half a cake will be gone in no time.
These cookies are a little bit more dense than a madeleine, but still mild and light. I was inspired to make these little lemon cookies recently from the wonderful cookbook I’ve been perusing by Janet Mendel. I’ve modified it a bit for my taste.
By adding some zest to the icing the lemon flavor is bumped up a bit. The cookies can stand on their own but with the quick lemon icing, they are a standout and the lemon flavor really shines.
The only fat in these cookies is the olive oil, which is good for so many things. Olive oil supposedly helps protect your skin, keeps you happy, and helps your heart stay healthy, among other things.
I suggest using a mild oil, and it doesn’t have to be extra virgin in this case, so you can save a few pennies to splurge later on the good stuff.
Be sure to wash your lemons thoroughly before zesting. Lemons and almost all citrus are often treated with anti fungicides that you definitely don’t want to eat. And even if they are organic, that doesn’t mean they’re free of any contaminants, so washing them is always a prudent idea.
I see no reason why you couldn’t easily make these orange as well, just substitute orange zest for the lemon. Or if you wanted to go a little more exotic, try tangerines or even grapefruit!
I would love to hear from you in the comments, and look forward to answering all your culinary questions!
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mild olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare two half sheet pans with parchment paper or silpats.
- Combine eggs, yolks and sugar in a mixer, and whisk thoroughly on high speed about 5 minutes, until light and airy.
- Add oil and zest and mix until combined. Fold in flour.
- Using a pasty bag with a 1/2 inch tip, pipe batter into 2" rounds, or portion about a large tablespoon of batter using a spoon.
- Bake about 5 minutes, rotate baking sheets, and bake an additional five minutes or until cookies are just getting golden around bottom edge.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on sheet pan.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg white until stiff, add in the confectioners sugar and continue to beat until combined. Dribble icing across cookies and allow to set.